The committee is charged with developing recommendations related to diversity and inclusion issues, including developing appropriate institutional responses to specific diversity and inclusion issues and:
- Develop and implement introductory and ongoing cultural competency training for all students, faculty, and staff
- Bridge the University with the Alpine, greater Big Bend, and Trans-Pecos communities to promote community-engaged scholarship by fostering education, outreach, and awareness
- Assess, evaluate, and advocate for cultural inclusivity and diversity initiatives on campus, including the provision of a regular open forum for students, faculty, and staff
- Review institutional communications, policies, and procedures actively promoting diversity and inclusion using best practices
- Ensure a safe, welcoming community climate that values a culture of inclusivity including, but not limited to, ability, age, national origin, religious beliefs, ethnicity, race, gender, social economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression
Primary Responsibility Area: Alpine Campus
Committee shall consist of a no more than nine (9) members and up to four ex officio members, for a maximum of thirteen (13) members on the committee. Membership shall include three (3) representatives from the faculty, with one representative from each college; two (2) representatives from the staff; one (1) athletic program representative; one (1) student representative; one (1) community representative; and one (1) member to be appointed by the University President. The ex officio members should represent the following areas: Assistant Director of Residential Living, Director of Counseling and Accessibility Services, Title IX Coordinator, and the Dean of Student Life.
Term: Two-year tenure for faculty and two-year staff appointments, with up to two-year appointments for the student representative(s), and a one-year appointment for the community representative. Initial memberships will be staggered two-year or three-year terms.
Chair: Nominated by voting members of the committee.