Sul Ross State University is a small, diverse community that values personal interactions while providing life-changing opportunities for students through quality undergraduate and graduate education, in person and online. In support of providing educational and other opportunities in a climate conducive to personal interactions and student development, the university has developed procedures for students to pursue grievances within the university community.
The grievance process has two major purposes:
- to provide an impartial review in determining whether a policy, practice, or procedure is in violation of written campus policies and procedures, and/or constitutes an arbitrary, discriminatory, capricious, or unequal application of written campus policies and procedures; and
- to ensure the rights of students are properly recognized and protected and recommend, where appropriate, redress for the grievant. Please review the policy here.
Prior to initiating an academic or non-academic compliant or grievance a student is expected to complete the informal grievance process. Students filing a complaint or grievance without completing the informal process will be directed to the appropriate informal steps of resolution. View the informal Grievance process here.
Different types of complaints or grievances are handled by various offices across campus. This site is intended to help students navigate which is the appropriate channel to initiate eligible grievances. Upon submission of the grievance, students will be referred to the appropriate office.
Types of Grievances
- Academic (Grades, Faculty, Classroom): Office of the Provost
- Disability (Accommodations/Accessibility): ADA Compliance Officer
- Title IX (Sex/Gender Discrimination, Sexual Misconduct) Title IX Coordinator.
- Public Safety (UPD, Parking, Transportation): University Police Department
- Other/ Non-Academic (Discrimination, Housing, Financial Aid, Student Life, etc): Student Life Office
The function of this service is to personally assist student in achieving satisfactory resolutions to university related challenges listed above. Please review the Student Grievance Policy prior to submitting the grievance form below. Once submitted you will be contacted by a designated representative from Student Life regarding your grievance.