The primary responsibilities of the Tenure and Promotion Council are to make recommendations to the Chief Academic Officer of the University on all matters involving the granting of tenure and promotion.
- The council shall serve as a body to consider individual faculty grievances.
- All promotion and tenure reviews require the attendance of all council members.
- The Council’s meetings are closed and its deliberations are confidential.
- The Council’s recommendations are made directly to the Joint Council on Faculty Affairs, which shall present written recommendations to the Chief Academic Officer who shall present written recommendations to the President.
- The Council shall summarize its recommendations on tenure and promotion to the Faculty Assembly by the final meeting each spring.
- More specifically, this council shall:
- Ensure that applicable policies for tenure and promotion are followed and that all candidates are treated fairly.
- Review and evaluate the dossiers and recommendations submitted for each candidate and make recommendations to the Joint Council for Faculty Affairs, which shall forward these recommendations to the Chief Academic Officer.
- Review tenure and promotion policies and procedures and make recommendations to the Faculty Assembly for revision.
- Review nominations for honorary degrees, emeritus status, and distinguished emeritus status and make recommendations to the Faculty Assembly and to the Chief Academic Officer of the University.
- Review tenure credit and faculty rank awarded to new faculty and administrators with faculty rank to ensure compliance with the guidelines of the Rules and Regulations of the Texas State University System.
Membership is appointed by Faculty Assembly and shall consist of seven tenured full professors.
Term: Three-year, staggered
Chair: Elected by Council
|Membership as of Spring 2023||Expiration of Term|
|Dr. Bill Green, EPS
Dr. Robert Kinucan, ALPS
Dr. Chris Ritzi, LASS – Chair
Dr. Galen Privet, EPS
Carol Fairlie, LASS
Dr. Louis Harveson, ALPS
Dr. Ian Peddie, LASS
Dr. Kevin Urbanczyk, ALPS
Dr. Oguzhan Basibuyuk, EPS
Quick Links and Documents
Deadlines for the 2020-21 Application Process:
|August 26, Wednesday||
|October 9, Friday||
|November 6, Friday||
|December 11, Friday||
|February 12, Friday||
|March 5, Friday||
|April 1, Thursday||
|April 8, Thursday||